Saturday 26 September 2015

The Niqab Is as Canadian as Maple Syrup and Frostbite

The other day I started a Twitter hashtag #CdnNiqab. It got very little attention, but it amused me.

Leaving aside all the blatant, court-reinforced, Charter-busting wrongness of a ban on niqabs at citizenship ceremonies, I find it hilarious that citizens who for months cover most of their faces for sheer survival would get their knickers in knots about it.

(Also leaving aside the disgusting wedgie PMSHithead is perpetrating on the land.)

Here are some of the pictures I posted.






This is what Herr Harper said:

“Look, when someone joins the Canadian family, there are times in our open, tolerant, pluralistic society that as part of our interactions with each other we reveal our identity through revealing our face.”

Those look like members of my Canadian family.

As does this guy, whose face you can't see very well.


If you've got silly or fabulous pix of you and/or friends and family geared up for winter, post them on Twitter.

Let's mock this wedgie right out of our snowpants.


UPDATE: October 7, 2015. My timing sux, I guess. Niqabs of Canada.



4 comments:

Scotian said...

*APPLAUSE!*

Very nicely done fern hill, very nicely done indeed!

If I had such pics to offer, they would be joining yours in a heartbeat, but alas I am not the most visually oriented person so don't take/keep much in the line of pictures. So this is as much support as I can offer, but I couldn't not give you my warmest cheers for this!

fern hill said...

Hi, Scotian. Thanks. I'm not much of a picture taker/keeper either. I snaffled those off the Intertoobz. :)

Purple library guy said...

Sorry, I live in Vancouver or I'd contribute.

deBeauxOs said...

Look around. Surely on the Wet Coast there's some folks wearing neoprene niqab while scuba diving?

Post a Comment